Saturday, February 16, 2008

PMDG and the 747-400

I decided to dive head first into the world of payware aircraft and I didn't want to skimp on my first purchase. I had heard that PMDG provided great aircraft simulations so I looked at them along with the LevelD 767. The only reason I chose PMDG was I like the 747 better.

A 460 Pg Textbook
The first thing I did after I installed the aircraft was print out the manual. I wasn't about to step into the complex cockpit of the 747 without knowing a little about what I was about to do. Thankfully I have free printing services at work, because the 460 page manual would be an expensive thing to buy (not that the simulation itself was cheap). I just chipped in for a three ring binder and some dividers and I was ready to go. The manual included more than I ever wanted to know about a simulated aircraft: Normal procedures, abnormal procedure, weight and V speed calculations, FMC, checklists and more... YIKES, if going to college wasn't enough.

So how do you start this thing?
I am not going to be happy starting FSX, hopping in an already running 747 and just taking off. I could do that with the default 747. I want to know the ins and outs of this aircraft. My first run through the start up procedures took me a little over an hour. I had no idea where half the button were that they were mentioning. But luckily they were right about getting better at it. Now it takes me around fifteen minutes, and I am still improving.

Flies like the real thing, if I knew how a real one flew.
From what the website says, they put a ton of time into making the flight characteristics as real as possible. And for this, I will have to take their word for it. What I can say from my perspective as a flight sim enthusiast is that the flight model is quite complex and should be for such a complex aircraft. It becomes vital to calculate V speeds and takeoff lengths for a particular weight at a certain atmospheric condition. For every Vr speed I have calculated it has been on target with the aircraft rotating smoothly. The flight characteristics are very dynamic, changing with every change in configuration: Weight, balance, flight controls, trim, etc. I know this is ture for every plane in FSX, but this one just feels better. For the cost of the plane, it could just be psychological.

We are looking for volunteers to take the next flight.
The aircraft package also comes with a load manager, in which I can manipulate the weight of the aircraft all the way down to the passenger in seat 26B. (Sorry sir, we are going to have to bump you, the flight is overweight.) You can even configure the aircraft for three class seating, or fly a economy flight and pack everyone in. See what happens when you fly all your cargo in the front of that cargo hold or the back for that matter. (Good luck flying that.)

Its going to be a long flight.
Because the captain has yet to figure out how to land the plane. I will have to admit, my first two attempts to land resulted in failure, partly because I failed to recognize the sound that is the stall horn, and partly do to lack of planning. My head has been so stuck in the cockpit of this thing, that I tend to forget to look outside. It also doesn't help when I hadn't figured out how to align the IRS(Inertial Reference System). Point of this story, it is going to be a while before I feel as comfortable in the virtual flightdeck of a PMDG 747-400 as I do in the default 747. I will have to say, though, that I will enjoy every minute of it. There is just so much to learn and try. So who's up for a CAT IIIb approach? I can safety say I won't be at the controls for this one.

No comments: